SMA calibration kit - Kirkby Microwave 85033.
This SMA calibration kit is suitable for all Agilent, HP, Anritsu, Copper Mountain, LA Techniques, Rohde & Schwarz, Picotech, National Instruments and SDR-kits VNAs. Sometimes SMA calibration kits are referred to as SMA cal kits. The 85033 is really an SMA calibration and verification kit, as an attenuator included with the kit allows the calibration
to be verified. However, the name SMA calibration kit is used, to be consistent with industry practice.
The kit is available in version from 7 to 12 GHz, with the 7 GHz being the cheapest, and the 12 GHz being the most expensive.
- Introduction, and description.
- Additional options - to improve functionality or performance.
- Option 001 - adds reverse polarity adapters, with measured electrical delay.
- Option 002 - adds long-life U.FL adapters, with measured electrical delay.
- Option 003 - adds MMCX adapters, with measured electrical delay.
- Option 004 - adds a 0.45 Nm (4 lb inch) torque wrench.
- Option 005 - adds a carry strap - this is rarely needed with an SMA kit, but more useful with our N calibration kit
- Option 006 - adds a floppy disk for an HP/Agilent 8510C VNA
- Option 007 - adds a floppy disk for an HP/Agilent 8714 VNA
- Option 009 - adds a floppy disk for an HP/Agilent 8719, 8720 or 8722 series instrument.
- Option 010 - adds a floppy disk for an HP/Agilent 8753 series VNA
- Option 022 - adds a female-female attenuator for verification purposes (a male-female attenuator is a standard item)
- Option 023 - adds a male-male attenuator for verification purposes (a male-female attenuator is a standard item)
- Technical support
- Returns Policy
Introduction to the 85033 SMA calibration and verification kit
The 85033 SMA calibration kit is suitable for calibrating all HP, Agilent, Keysight, Anritsu, Rohde & Schwarz and Copper Mountain vector network analyzers. As well as the leading manufacturers of VNAs listed, the kit can be used to calibrate virtually any vector network analyzer to enable SMA, 3.5 mm or 2.92 mm coaxial devices to be measured, irrespective of the test ports on the VNA (N, 3.5 mm, APC7, 2.4 mm etc). In addition to the
leading manufacturers of VNAs, the kit has been used with VNAs from Picotech, National Instruments, LA Techniques and SDR-kits. The kit includes parts for both male and female genders, so it is not restricted to male or female components only as some VNA calibration kits are male SMA calibration kit or female SMA calibration kit available from other manufacturers.
The maximum frequency range of the SMA coaxial calibration kit can be chosen to be 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 GHz, with 7 GHz being the cheapest,
and 12 GHz the most expensive. The kit is both a calibration
and a verification kit since is supplied with an attenuator which can be used to verify the calibration is correct. The S-parameters of the attenuator was measured on an HP 8720D (20 GHz) VNA using an Agilent 85052B 26.5 GHz 3.5 mm calibration kit. After setting up the VNA to use the calibration kit, calibrating the VNA, the user can check the VNA is performing correctly by measuring the attenuator which is provided and comparing that to the measured results, which are on a USB stick supplied with the kit.
Options to improve functionality or performance
The standard 85033 SMA kit includes all the components necessary for a
VNA calibration kit. However, the following options are available to
increase performance and or functionality. (A torque wrench is essential, and
is option 004 if you don't have one).:
- Option 001 - adds a pair of SMA to reverse polarity SMA adapters.
The RP. SMA connector is very common on WiFi devices, such as routers,
WiFi amplifiers, antennas etc. This option adds
two reverse polarity SMA adapters, giving both male and female in reverse polarity. These have a measured electrical delay so their effect can
be compensated for by port extensions, moving the reference plane, or whatever else your VNA calls such a procedure.
- Option 002 - adds a pair of SMA to long life, low-retention force U.FL adapters.
These adapters have a measured electrical delay, so their effect can
be compensated for by port extensions, moving the reference plane, or whatever else your vector network analyzer calls such a procedure. The delay is given with the other parameters of the kit.
Note the lifetime of U.FL connectors usually is about 20 matings, but the low retention force adapters have a long life
and have the same warranty as the rest of the
SMA calibration kit.
- SMA female to U.FL female.
- SMA male to U.FL male.
- Option 003 - adds a pair of SMA to MMCX adapters, with measured electrical delay. Both male and female MMCX adapters are provided.
- Option 004 - adds a highly recommended 0.45 Nm (4 lb inch) torque wrench.
SMA connectors should be tightened more than hand tight,
yet are easily damaged if over-tightened with a spanner.
- Option 005 - adds a carry strap, which can be useful if the kit is taken outside, but is not necessary in a laboratory.
- Option 006 - adds a floppy disk to allow the coefficients to be read into an HP 8510C VNA. Note the 8510A and 8510B do not have floppy drives.
- Option 007 - adds a floppy disk to allow the coefficients to be read into an HP 8714 VNA.
- Option 009 - adds a floppy disk to allow the coefficients to be read into an HP 8719, 8720 or 8722 series VNA.
- Option 010 - adds a floppy disk to allow the coefficients to be read into an HP 8753 VNA.
- Option 022 - adds an attenuator for verification purposes which has two female connectors. (This is made from a male-female attenuator and female-female thru, but is permanently fixed with Locktite)
- Option 023 - adds an attenuator for verification purposes which has two male connectors. (This is made from a male-female attenuator and male-male thru, but is permanently fixed with Locktite)
The standard VNA calibration kit for SMA connectors, which includes an attenuator for verification purposes, has the following properties:
Specifications of the SMA calibration and verification kit - SMA cal kit
The specifications of the 85033 standard SMA calibration kit are as follows.
- Frequency range: DC to 7 GHz, 8 GHz, 9 GHz, 10 GHz, 11 GHz or 12 GHz. Please select the appropriate frequency either if paying with PayPal, or asking us for a quote.
- >32 dB return loss for the SMA loads from DC to the highest frequency of the kit.
- Difference between the phase predicted by the mathematical model of the opens and the actual phase of the opens is <3°
- Difference between the phase predicted by the mathematical model of the shorts and the actual phase of the shorts is <3°
- Mechanical pin depth of the devices is 0.000" to -0.010" (0 to -0.25 mm). Typically they in the range 0.000 to -0.0025" (0.00 mm to -0.06 mm)
- Size 251 x 142 x 67 mm.
- Weight: approximately 600 g for the standard kit. Kits with options are heavier, but always less than 1 kg.
- Colour of the case: Black or yellow. IP67 rated. The case used is a Pelican 1060, which is 251 x 142 x 67 mm. Full specifications are on the Pelican website. The use of a yellow case is recommended if the kit is to be used outside a laboratory, which is rarely the case with SMA, but quite common with an N calibration kit.
Purchasing the 85033 SMA calibration and verification kit
The SMA calibration kit may be purchased in several ways. The prices vary somewhat depending on where bought, the method of payment, the currency, due to the commission charged by various bodies (banks, Paypal, eBay etc). If people want a proforma invoice or formal quotation, let us know, and we will produce one.
It is ESSENTIAL we have a telephone number for the courier. We usually use UPS or FedEx, both of which require a telephone number before we can book the courier. If there are any problems with delivery, the courier will usually telephone you.
You can purchase the kit in either
You may Order on eBay. Despite the auction saying this is for an HP/Agilent VNA, the SMA calibration kit will, in fact, work with almost any VNA.
Purchasing from Amazon
The case shown on the Amazon website is not the one you will receive. We rarely sell the kits on Amazon, so have not yet updated the sale.
Bank transfer in GBP
Payment by bank transfer is the cheapest if paid from a UK bank account. Please ensure you email us at email@example.com for a quotation,
as we can't give a specific price on the website due to the number of options available.
Payments should be made to the following bank account.
Other payment methods
If you wish to pay by any other method, then please contact us to discuss this.
Kirkby Microwave Ltd is registered in England and Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office: Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Essex, CM3 6DT.